Road to Rome with Oberammergau (Preview 2020)
Brochure Type: Europe Preview 2020
Proverbially, all roads lead to Rome. This one includes a gourmet walk through Paris with a foodie, meeting a Swiss Mountain Ranger and the art of Renaissance Florence. Photo: Oberammergau Passion Play 2020
ADDITIONAL INCLUDED HIGHLIGHTS
- Paris: See Notre Dame Cathedral, the facades of the Louvre Museum, the Place de la Concorde. Drive along the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe.
- Lucerne: View the emotive Lion Monument. See the covered Chapel Bridge and Jesuit Church.
- Innsbruck: See the Golden Roof and Imperial Palace.
- Venice: Cruise, with commentary, to St Mark's Square. See the Doges' Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St Mark's Basilica.
- Florence: Walk with your guide to the Cathedral, see the 'Gates of Paradise' and open-air gallery of Signoria Square.
- Orvieto: Visit the pleasant Umbrian hilltop town.
- Rome: Visit St Peter's Basilica in the Vatican City. See the mighty Colosseum and overlook the Forum.
- Scenic Drives: Burgundy, Arlberg, Inn Valley, Tauern Mountains.
- Paris: The 4-star Pullman Paris Montparnasse hotel is located in the heart of Paris. The hotel has been completely renovated and offers a bar, restaurant and fitness room.
- Orvieto: At a restaurant in the medieval heart of Orvieto, explore the art of Italian cooking with Chef Lorenzo and master the art of making fresh pasta by hand. Follow this with lunch and a glass of Orvieto Classico wine.
- Rome: Savour a four-course Celebration Dinner complete with wine, to the rich tremolo of some of Italy's best loved opera.
- Lucerne: Choose from a selection of restaurants for your Dine-Around Evening. Perhaps you might like to enjoy a traditional Swiss supper of hearty specialties?
- Oberammergau: Dine in a local restaurant amid the buzz of excitement from Passion Play goers and enjoy local hospitality before the second half commences.
- Florence: In the underground cellar of Machiavelli's home, enjoy a delicious exploration of local Tuscan wines, with their robust flavours and absorbing history over lunch.
- Included Quality Dining:: 11 Buffet Breakfasts (BB), 2 Lunches with wine (LW), and 4 Dinners (D) with wine (DW).
- Rome: After VIP fast-track entry into the Vatican Museums and privileged access to the Bramante Staircase, witness Michelangelo's genius in the Sistine Chapel.
- Paris: On a small group gourmet food walk, taste the flavours of France with a foodie who takes you to the local's favourite shops.
- Swiss Mountain: A spectacular journey to the summit of a Swiss mountain where you will learn about local wildlife when you meet a Swiss Mountain Ranger.
- Venice: Meet a gondolier and learn about this timeless tradition.
- Eurostar: Relax on the smooth, high-speed Eurostar train from London, via the historic Channel Tunnel to Paris.
- Oberammergau: Experience the spectacular Passion Play that has made this town famous. Watch from your premium seat as local villagers perform as they have since 1634 in this once in a decade event. An emotive and critically acclaimed performance depicting Christ's last days, this is an event not to be missed.
- Pisa: See the incredible Leaning Tower with a Local Expert.
- An expert Insight Tour Director, at the pinnacles of their career, will smooth your way throughout your journey. They are your 'travelling concierge', expert guide, consummate organiser and your friend in a foreign land
- Enjoy the unique comfort of Insight's luxury air-conditioned 40 seat coach with extended leg room and on-board restroom. It's business class comfort
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating insights and commentaries
- Baggage handling with seamless and prompt delivery to your door at every hotel
- Hotel and restaurant tips included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi
- Insight Flourishes - from time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with local tidbits, each representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination
- Charged transfers from London Heathrow Airport can be booked through Insight Vacations
- Complimentary transfers to Rome Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport are available at scheduled times only, on the last day of your escorted journey
- Should your flights not coincide with these transfers, additional charged transfers are available or please make your own way from/to the airport
Call (651) 731-8026 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13867163
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2018
- 14 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (not included).|
|Day 2||London||Welcome to London: Welcome to London. After checking into your hotel, the rest of the day is free to enjoy a city that is famous for its pomp and pageantry. Perhaps relax with a walk of the Serpentine in Hyde Park or window shop in the elegant boutiques of Knightsbridge? Alternatively, stroll along Southbank and see Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye or travel further along the Thames to the iconic Tower Bridge and Tower of London.|
|Day 3||Depart from London by Eurostar for Paris||Depart from London by Eurostar for Paris: Meet your Tour Director at 07:30 and after a warm welcome, transfer to London's St. Pancras Station to board the high-speed Eurostar. Your comfortable two-hour rail journey takes you via the historic Channel Tunnel to Paris. In the afternoon, join your Tour Director for an orientation, passing the imposing facades of the Louvre. During your time in Paris, see the obelisk in the Place de la Concorde and drive along the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe. Get together for a Welcome Reception and an opportunity to mingle and get to know each other over a pleasant evening of dinner and wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 4||Paris||Paris, the 'City of Light': Meet a local foodie for a behind the scenes look into life in Paris. Try some local delicacies in a patisserie, boulangerie, fromagerie and chocolatier on a gourmet walking tour off the beaten track. The rest of the day is at leisure. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 5||Lucerne||Beautiful Burgundy and on to Lucerne: Journey through the Burgundy wine region, before passing the Jura Mountains and crossing into Switzerland. Arrive in glorious lakeside Lucerne and choose from a selection of restaurants for your Dine Around Evening. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 6||Lucerne||Lucerne's Lake and Lion: Join your Tour Director to see the covered Chapel Bridge and stirring Lion Monument. Embark on an exhilarating journey to the summit of a Swiss mountain where you will meet a Swiss Mountain Ranger to learn about the local wildlife. Admire the panorama of snowcapped peaks, before descending back to terra firma. There is time set aside to shop for fine watches and chocolate in Lucerne. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 7||Oberammergau||From Lucerne to Oberammergau: Start the day with a journey to the heart of the Alps, passing through the Principality of Liechtenstein. See its tiny capital, Vaduz, with its castle located on a hillside overlooking the city. Continue to Oberammergau in time to take your premium seats and witness the world famous Passion Play, re-enacting the passion of Christ. After a break for dinner, the performance continues into the evening. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 8||Venice||Innsbruck, the Dolomites to the Queen of the Adriatic: Head for Innsbruck, where your orientation will show you the 14th century houses of the Old Town, the impressive Imperial Palace and the delightful Golden Roof. Cross the impressive Europa Bridge as you journey south. Continue through the magnificent Dolomites via the Brenner Pass and follow the Adige River through spectacular scenery to glorious Venice, where your hotel puts you right in the heart of the splendour. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel Gabrielli, Venice
|Day 9||Venice||Venice and the Magic of 'La Serenissima': (Relaxed Start) Wake up close to St Mark's Square, dominated by its magnificent basilica. Also in the square stands the Campanile and Doge's Palace which is connected to the prisons by the Bridge of Sighs. While here, visit an arts centre to watch one of the few remaining craftsmen blow Venetian glass. Meet a gondolier and learn the about this age old tradition. In your free afternoon, why not try it out for yourself with a gondola serenade through the canals? (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 10||Florence||Journey through Tuscany to Pisa and on to Florence: Head into the wild Apennines and on to the peaceful landscapes of Tuscany. Stop to see the incredible Leaning Tower of Pisa with a Local Expert, from which Galileo is said to have conducted experiments on velocity and gravity. Also see the splendid cathedral and baptistery, decorated with mosaics and designs in solid marble. The journey then continues to Renaissance Florence. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 11||Florence||Florence Sightseeing: (Relaxed start) Walk with your Local Expert to the marble-clad cathedral and baptistery, where Ghiberti's 'Gates of Paradise' have been recreated in all their glory. Next stop is Signoria Square, an open-air gallery of Renaissance masterpieces and spend time gazing at statues such as Neptune and David along the front of the Palazzo Vecchio. Take a drive through the Tuscan hills to the home of the Italian Renaissance diplomat and writer, Nicolo Machiavelli including a special opening of his private office where he wrote 'The Prince '. In Machiavelli's cellar, enjoy a tasting of wines made from the vineyards surrounding the home over a delicious lunch. (Buffet Breakfast / Lunch with Wine)|
|Day 12||Rome||Hilltop Orvieto and the Eternal City of Rome: Stop in the Umbrian hilltop town of Orvieto; its cathedral is one of Italy's most celebrated buildings. Immerse yourself in the flavours and culture of the region at Zeppelin Restaurant. Join a master chef for a fascinating live cooking demonstration, followed by lunch and a glass of the Orvieto Classico wine - a magical culinary experience! Once in Rome, perhaps start the evening with a 'passeggiata' (traditional evening stroll). (Buffet Breakfast / Lunch with Wine)|
|Day 13||Rome||Papal and Imperial Rome: Join a Local Expert for an in-depth visit to the Vatican Museums, full of priceless art collected over the ages by the Popes. In order to avoid the crowds, Insight has arranged special VIP entrance, together with behind-the-scenes access to the Bramante Staircase - a marvel of Renaissance architecture, normally off-limits to the general public. Next, head to the Sistine Chapel to admire Michelangelo's famous ceiling. Next door in St Peter's Basilica, view another masterpiece by Michelangelo, the Pieta, as well as the splendid dome, completed after his death. Cross the River Tiber to see the Colosseum, still echoing with the ghostly cries of gladiatorial combat and overlook the Forum. Later, there is time for last-minute shopping or sightseeing at your leisure. In the evening, enjoy an elegant four-course dinner with unlimited local wine at a Roman restaurant. As you dine, you'll be serenaded with a private performance of popular songs and arias from some of Italy's best-loved operas. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 14||Rome||Arrivederci Roma: Departure transfers arrive at Rome's Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci Airport at 07:00 and 09:30. (Buffet Breakfast)|
- Twin prices are per person. Insight has secured hotel accommodation either in Oberammergau or close by in the picturesque villages of the Bavarian Alps. Single and Triple rooms are not available at Oberammergau. Those who select these booking types will be matched with a traveller of the same gender in a twin room for the duration of the Oberammergau stay. Insight's Great Savings and Discounts do not apply to Oberammergau packages.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class